You can withdraw from a study by returning your submission. Returning a study means you won't be paid for that study. It won't affect your Prolific score, or your ability to participate in more studies on Prolific.
How can I return a study?
You can return a study whenever you like, including:
- once you've reserved a place on a study
- while you're active on a study
- after you submitted a study and it is awaiting review.
If you've only just reserved a place but no longer want to take the study, click 'Cancel Reservation' to return your study.
If you're active in a study, you can click 'Cancel participation'. This will be on the Prolific webpage, not the study webpage.
If you completed a study and it's currently awaiting review, you can return it from the Submissions page. Find the study you want to return and click the red looped arrow.
Why would I return a study?
You may want to return a study for a number of reasons. For example:
- You realise you don't have enough time to complete the study
- A technical issue has occurred
- You're using the wrong kind of device for the study
- You feel there is something wrong with the study/feel the study should be reported to Prolific
- You just changed your mind, and don't wish to continue
- After completing the study you realise your submission should not be used by the researcher
- You're contacted by the researcher asking to return your submission for a legitimate reason